Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Smart Boy
I wouldn't normally write about something like this, but I have been worried about Gideon's intelligence level. Which is really bad for a Mom to say and I feel horribly guilty about it. His speech is horrible though. He doesn't speak clearly at all. He is in speech therapy and we have a therapist come to our house once a week and he is getting better a little at a time, but I was afraid his IQ might not be as high as the other kids. Well today we were making batman invitations for his birthday party and he looked at the batman symbol and told me we should put a B on it for Batman. I asked him what he said and he told me again. Out of curiosity I asked him how to spell his name and he told me G,I,D. He didn't get any farther, but since I haven't worked with him that much on how to spell his name I was impressed. It made me think how I view different disabilities. I have always thought that I was a pretty open minded person, but here I was judging my own son who I know best in the world and I was limiting him in my own mind. Well now that I know he is very capable, we'll get to work on preparing him for kindergarten a year from the fall. I've been contemplating holding him back a year for his speech, and maybe we still will if it doesn't improve, but now I know he is very capable of doing well in school. It is just a matter of others understanding him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment