Monday, April 27, 2009

12 Years and Counting

Yesterday we celebrated our 12 year anniversary. We went out to lunch on Satruday and I was sad to have to take Gabby because she took one look at the sitter at clung to me for dear life. She is too much of a mommy's girl. Anyway, as we celebrated this occasion I reflected on what has happened the last 12 years. We now have five children. We have lived in Utah, California (very briefly), Virginia, Michigan, Idaho, and Wyoming. We have had 5 different cars and owned 3 different houses. We have moved 8 different times. We have lost 6 grandparents, and gained many nieces and nephews. We have had a lot of change through the last 12 years, but we have faced the changes together and that has made a huge difference.

I have also reflected on where we will be in 12 years. Emma will be 21, Ben 19, so it is possible we may be supporting 2 missionaries, or have a son-in-law or we could be (yikes) grandparents. Eliza will be a senior in High School and Gideon a freshman, Gabriella will be in sixth grade. We will be on the road to being empty-nesters. What scares me is how fast the last 12 years have gone by and how fast the next 12 will go. I wish time would slow down so I could savor every moment and enjoy each phase, each conversation, every time of discovery, each twinkling of laughter. I will just have to muddle through on my own and hope that with the resurrection, a perfect brain will come with perfect memories of this life.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! I thought about you guys on Sunday and couldn't believe it's been 12 years. Where did all that time go? I still remember the proposal night, picking out bridesmaid dresses, and seeing you come out of the Temple married. 12 years? Wow, we are getting old. :)

P's in a pod said...

AAaah!!!!! 12 years.. Happy Anniversary .Where has the time gone? I'm glad to see that you both have been "productive" and not wasting any time. The kids are cute and Dad hasn't changed much...which is good for his age ;) We are gonna have to get ourselves organized for college reunion one of these days...seeing all the blogs and kids makes me think back to the fun we had. cutch